Sometimes you start something and know immediately it isn’t going to go well. That was me with the Lune dress.

The official Lune dress marketing image.

Described as being for an ambitious beginner, I thought that 10 years of sewing might place this in my reach.

The pattern is only available on PDF.  Blessed as I am with a vintage printer and zero desire in piecing together sheets of A4 paper, I paid extra to have the pattern printed out on A0 paper.

When the pattern arrived, the instructions were not included  so I begged the use of a friend’s printer to print the very scant information out.  So just getting started was a nuisance!

The fabric initially chose was out of stock at my local sewing shop, so back online I went and got some red, bird print viscose.

I made a rookie mistake.  I ordered what I thought was a random pattern, only to find the pattern clearly runs in one direction.  Pattern matching would be impossible with the quantity of fabric I had, so I just decided to give it a go and make the best of it.

Sewing begins…

 

The bodice is lined, which made the whole process a bit fiddly but it definitely worked.  It called for the addition of organza to stabilise the neckline.  By chance I had a reel of narrow, organza ribbon in the exact shade of red required so was able to add this easily.

Then, the 2 layers of bodice are sewn to the single layer skirt sections.  In 4 parts it was inevitable that the seams would not match up.

Next came the concealed zip. As my fabric is drapey the zip caused severe rippling, so had to be unpicked.  I reinforced the area with more organza ribbon.  This definitely made it neater, but the zip ended up being a long way from concealed.

Then you sew the back and side seams.  It was at this point I realised something was very wrong.  I had measured myself carefully and selected a pattern size according to the guide in the instructions.  This had left me with a dress a good 2 sizes too big.  I was so fed up I had to leave it for a couple of days while I worked out whether I could salvage the dress.

Finally I took 2 inches off each shoulder and off each side seam.  I also had to nip the centre of the bust in.  Still left with a little looseness in the back, I felt it was the best I could get.

The hem was so long, so uneven and impossible to pin alone.  So I had to ask my mum to pin it up for me.  Cutting a good 4 inches off the bottom, the dress was finished at last!

The finished dress is still a bit big, but to the casual observer it looks fine.  The fabric is beautifully drapey and very comfortable.  I might come to actually like this dress!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This